23 February 2011

diptych inspiration 1.



Leonardo da Vinci

+3 images


da Vinci’s place in art history is remarkable by itself. The personal appeal lies in the thought and calculation da Vinci employed behind his genius. Many historians and critiques observe the mathematical precision inherent in his works. With immense skill and immense care he drafts precise works of art which generally are relegated to a discipline apart from intense calculation in my mind. Looking beneath the surface reveals to me that I am ignorant of the process some artists undergo in their craft.


Vitruvian Man.














For my big idea of Randomness vs. Specificity in nature, it was da Vinci’s Vesuvius Man which particularly caught my attention. He took a natural form (the human male) and subjected it to further mathematical examination. In so doing he speeds my thinking along the same lines as I consider the foundation of nature and in what ways (if any) it can be reduced and understood.


Womb (anatomical drawings)




















I was further inspired to think deeply about my project, and the ways in which the seemingly covert theme of specificity could be shown. I fear being too overt in this attempt but understand too that I am in process. There is a fundamental simplicity in da Vinci, and this forces me to consider the building blocks and how I can incorporate them, directly or indirectly, to achieve my final goal.


The Last Supper




No comments:

Post a Comment