21 February 2011

diptych.


statement.


Specificity in the design of nature is my big idea. By considering identity I was forced to ask, “Is human nature random or specific,” and responded with this project. I used an image of a sunset I witnessed in California last year, and considered Fibonacci’s numbers and the Golden Ratio. I also considered the work of Piet Mondrian and Leonardo da Vinci for their use of primary colors and mathematics in art, respectively. Each of these works applied rigorous and objective measures to the otherwise ambiguous and curious realm of nature. This is important to me because human formation is very important to me, and so it is essential to understand properly the foundation from which we develop.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Steven, thank you for being the deep thinker in my OSU life! Wow, what a good question..."Is human nature random or specific?" I would venture to say we have both. Your diptych is surely making the point that the random event of nature can surely be specific. The sunset, often taken for granted by some, is a random, specific marvel you have captured here. The other side of your diptych reminds me of a one-celled parasitic protozoa called an Amoeba, super small life form in nature. I appreciate your perspective on mathematics and color use in art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comments! i do appreciate working with you too Sherry, and our little cohort in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven your project really made me look at things differently and I'm the kind of person that look at other people's work and say why didn't I think of that where as you are the creative person I wish I could be. I really do appreciate the thought that you put into your images. I really liked the link between the two images but I feel to make it a little more noticeable would be to bring the color out of the second image more, just a little. The gray is great, I feel like its a blank canvas that allows the audience to look beyond it and concentrate on everything else. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete